Selected with visitors in mind.

1. ORANGE TREE: The Quadrant, nearly opposite the railway station. Young's beers. First record 1708 in Court Rolls but now a Victorian building. Original home of the Orange Tree Theatre which now has a building of its own adjacent. Spacious pub and food available. Situated on the right as you leave Richmond station. Note the pictures "Seven ages of man". Currently plagued with piped music.

2.THE TRIPPLE CROWN: Kew Foot Road, on the Kew side of the A316 - to the right as you leave Richmond station - and adjacent to Richmond Athletic ground. Not easy to find but like The Waterman's, (see below), is a smallish, friendly, traditional pub. Freehouse. Food weekday lunch times. In the 2004 Good Beer Guide.

3:PRINCES HEAD: In a corner of Richmond Green. Fuller's beers. First records 1787. Meals available. Seating extends beyond rear of the bar.

4. THE SHIP: Corner of King Street and George Street. Young's beers. Pubs on or near present site previously known as the New Ship and the Old Ship. Earliest record 1705. A note from records dated 1791 shows that London to Hampshire coaches collected mail and passengers from the Ship 10 times daily! Meals available.

5. WATERMAN'S: Water Lane leading to the river. Young's beers. A pub dating back nearly 500 years and reputed to have a ghost nick-named George. A typical cosy small town pub with two rooms. Visited by the Swan Uppers each year on their way up stream.

6. WHITE CROSS: At the bottom of Water Lane on the river side. Young's beers. On the site of a chapel, part of the Convent of the Observant Friars that was built about 1499 and destroyed by Henry VIII. The top story of the present building was added just before the first world war. The White Cross has two interesting features: a real fire directly beneath a window and steps leading to a side entrance for customers use at high tide. Meals at lunch time. No piped music or gaming machines.

7. WHITE SWAN: Old Palace Lane, a rural setting near the river. Food lunch time and evenings. Building reputed to have been built using material from Richmond Palace. Useful when doing a walking tour of the town and river side.

8. THE ROEBUCK: Richmond Terrace, on Richmond Hill. Freehouse. No visit to Richmond (Surrey) is complete without seeing the view over looking the Thames from Richmond Terrace. On a clear day and with good eyesight Windsor Castle is visible. The Roebuck, first records 1730, is very handy when making such a trip. The pub was refurbished in 1987 and has several semi isolated sections. Meals available.

9. RED COW: On the Sheen road about half a mile from the centre of town. Young's beers. Three drinking areas. Meals lunch times and weekday evenings.

Free maps of Richmond are available from Information at The Old Town Hall, Hill Street.

Home pageHome Page              The Tour pageThe Tour page               Twickenham pubsTwickenham pubs

Cheers             Animation